Saturday, June 21, 2008

I'll take one wife here and another wife there




My friend Michelle recently bought two hand puppets made in Yemen, a little country at the tip of Saudi Arabia, by a woman who makes and sell these things to support her family. In Yemen, women also follow the guidelines of covering their whole bodies except for the eyes. The woman calls her lady puppets "resilliant spirit" because the women of Yemen are tough in order to survive, they need to be strong to get by. The women dress in all black and the men in all white. How nice that the men have to wear white in such a hot country.

The woman has a husband, he's from Saudi Arabia. He has a wife in Saudi Arabia and she is his wife while he's in Yemen- and maybe he has another one in another country, I don't know. Saudi Arabia is much richer than Yemen, but I learned he doesn't support the Yemen wife, maybe when he's living in Yemen, maybe. But otherwise she's on her own. He just comes and goes when he pleases and when he wants some. This made me mad to learn of these women's lives, mostly because I can't do anything about it directly right now and because I'm so selfish.










No comments: